|Red Velvet Cereal Treats|
Here's what you need:
-(1) lb. bag of mini marshmallows
-3/4 C Red Velvet cake mix
-3 drops of red food coloring, optional
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-8 1/2 C chocolate rice cereal (i.e. Cocoa Pebbles, DynoBites, etc.)
-1/2 C white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil, melted
-1 drop cinnamon oil (about 1/16th tsp), optional
1. Butter a standard-sized baking sheet and set aside.
2. In a large microwave safe bowl (I use a large Tupperware bowl) melt 6 TBS of butter. Once butter is melted add vanilla and food coloring if desired. I think the food coloring adds the perfect color "punch" to this recipe. Stir together. Add marshmallows and coat with butter mixture. Add cake mix and stir to incorporate.
3. Microwave mixture on high for 1.5-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Once mixture is melted, add your cereal and stir to combine.
|Melty marshmallow chocolatey goodness|
4. Pour mixture onto your baking sheet and press down with buttered hands.
5. Once mixture is cooled, use a cookie cutter and cut out heart shapes. Take another baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper and place the hearts on top. **If you are in a hurry you can just skip this step and just cut into squares.
|So cute for Valentine's Day|
6. Use a chocolate melter if you have one (it's like a mini crock-pot that melts chocolate and keeps it at a constant temperature). I have 2 of them and they are my favorite to use. I love that it keeps the chocolate at a constant temperature and I don't have to worry about using a double boiler or running the risk of my chocolate seizing in the microwave. If you can invest in one, I highly recommend it. It also works great for dipping chocolates. If you don't have one, then you can melt the chocolate in the microwave in 15-30 second intervals. It takes about 3-4 minutes and you want to make sure that you stir often. Once chocolate is melted, add coconut oil and cinnamon oil and stir to combine. I always thin out my chocolate with coconut oil. It makes it SO much easier to drizzle.
7. Drizzle white chocolate over cereal treats.
|Squares or Hearts? Both are cute!|
Here's the printable recipe.
Enjoy and Happy Baking!